|Posted by byfwc on November 14, 2011 at 9:15 AM|
Pastor John J. Tatum
Message: Being Courageous For Christ!
Text: Judges 7:7
7 And the LORD said unto Gideon, By the three hundred men that lapped will I save you, and deliver the Midianites into thine hand: and let all the other people go every man unto his place. 8 So the people took victuals in their hand, and their trumpets: and he sent all the rest of Israel every man unto his tent, and retained those three hundred men: and the host of Midian was beneath him in the valley.
Intro: Last week we talked about Gideon, who was called by God to do something courageous.
Just like each every one of us are called to be courageous for God.
The word courageous has to do with being-Brave, daring, bold, gusty, spirited, nerves, audacious, valor
Gideon was a farmer, who wanted to provide for his family, but his country had been invaded, and the hostile invader made it nearly impossible to grow, and gather the resources necessary to provide food for his family.
Gideon didn’t know anything about being courage, because he had a small, weak & least mentality…
He knew that something needed to be done about the Midianites who invaded his land annually; but he was paralyzed by his fear, doubt and a wavering faith.
Point- We all see things that need to be addressed, or dealt with head on in our lives, but because of our own fear,& doubt, we remain silent or on the side line and nothing changes.
• But God want us to be courageous as we deal with the multiplicity of problems that life brings are way.
The bible teaches us that, Gideon was in the wine press, which he also made into a threshing floor, when the Angel of the Lord called him.
In others he was at work or in the midst of work, when the Lord called him. What does this mean to us:
• That God is not calling lazy & nonchalant folks …
• God is not calling for the sluggish or detached folks …
• But, God is calling for people who are obedience, faithful & busy do something…
• Isn’t it amazing the way we look at ourselves, compared to the way God looks at us...
• Gideon was incognito being obedience, faithful and busy, And God took note of what he was doing. He saw him working!
• And he called to him, right in the midst of what he was doing! God is watching!
We have to become people who are Obedience, Faithful & Busy, willing to serve and to work out all of what, God is calling us to do in this place!
There were three objectives that Gideon had to overcome, in order to say Yes to the call of God that was on his life.
1. Gideon had to overcome feelings of responsibility for his family’s welfare-(in others words we can neglect the call of God on our life, when we think that our family’s welfare will be in jeopardy …as if God does care about our family)
2. Gideon had to overcome his on doubts about the call itself- (We must overcome doubt that God would chose us to do something for him).
3. His feelings of inadequacy for the job. - (We must overcome these feeling that say we a not equipped enough for the challenge).
God never calls the qualified but he always qualified the one in whom he calls!
What I want you to understand are the Life Lessons from Gideon Beginning:
• God calls us in the middle of our present obedience’s… As we stay faithful, he gives us more responsibility
• God expands & uses the abilities he has already built into us to fulfill his plans in the earth
• God uses us despite our limitations & failures
• Even when we make great spiritual progress, we can easily fall into sin if we don’t consistently follow God
The Process That leads to Courage:
9 And it came to pass the same night, that the LORD said unto him, Arise, get thee down unto the host; for I have delivered it into thine hand. 10 But if thou fear to go down, go thou with Phurah thy servant down to the host: 11 And thou shalt hear what they say; and afterward shall thine hands be strengthened to go down unto the host. Then went he down with Phurah his servant unto the outside of the armed men that were in the host. 12 And the Midianites and the Amalekites and all the children of the east lay along in the valley like grasshoppers for multitude; and their camels were without number, as the sand by the sea side for multitude. 13 And when Gideon was come, behold, there was a man that told a dream unto his fellow, and said, Behold, I dreamed a dream, and, lo, a cake of barley bread tumbled into the host of Midian, and came unto a tent, and smote it that it fell, and overturned it, that the tent lay along. 14 And his fellow answered and said, This is nothing else save the sword of Gideon the son of Joash, a man of Israel: for into his hand hath God delivered Midian, and all the host. 15 And it was so, when Gideon heard the telling of the dream, and the interpretation thereof, that he worshipped, and returned into the host of Israel, and said, Arise; for the LORD hath delivered into your hand the host of Midian.
• Faith- what he would hear in the enemies camp, would cause faith to be produce
God has a sense of humor…These are the same people in whom Gideon has been hiding from, now he is in their camp, Hearing what they are saying about him, and getting built up in his faith to fight against them. What and unlikely place to get built up in your faith!
• Hands Be Strengthen –why is it important that are hands are strengthen? Look at what we do with our hands…
• We clap with our hands
• We lift our hands
• We worship with our hands
• We lay our hand s on the sick and they recover
• We bind and we loose with our hands
• We touch and agree with our hands
• We anointed with our hands
• We lay our hand on people and they receive the Holy Spirit
So our hands being strengthen has everything to do with our purpose in the earth!
Somebody ought to say…Lord strengthen my hands!
• Worship- Our worship seal… stamp, guarantees, assure, settle, finalize, wrap, confirms… That which we believe! It seals the deal!
• Confession…home loge…
Homologeo- to say the same thing, to agree with, assent… to declare openly,& to speak out freely.
Note God had already said… “The And it came to pass the same night, that the LORD said unto him, Arise, get thee down unto the host; for I have delivered it into thine hand.”
15 And it was so, when Gideon heard the telling of the dream, and the interpretation thereof, that he worshipped, and returned into the host of Israel, and said, Arise; for the LORD hath delivered into your hand the host of Midian.
So Gideon, after it was sealed in worship, he confessed openly, what God had already spoken prior…
• And this was the Last step in the process… He had to confess what the Lord had said about his situation…
See, some of yall are waiting on the Lord, and the Lord is waiting on you to speak what he has already said in his word about your situation… It in your mouth!
Call to action:
Arise in Faith, Arise and be strengthen in your hands, Arise in worship seal the deal, & Arise in confession, speak what he speaks… says the Lord!