|Posted by byfwc on May 26, 2012 at 2:10 PM|
Message: Abraham's Faith
Text: James 1:22-25
22 But be ye doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving your own selves. 23 For if any be a hearer of the word, and not a doer, he is like unto a man beholding his natural face in a glass: 24 For he beholdeth himself, and goeth his way, and straightway forgetteth what manner of man he was. 25 But whoso looketh into the perfect law of liberty, and continueth therein, he being not a forgetful hearer, but a doer of the work, this man shall be blessed in his deed.
Intro: Today I would like to talk about... Why Abraham's Faith worked for him?...
There are a lot of people who like to sing, and talk about the blessings of Abraham, but they never get any results.
And the reason why they don't get any result by singing and talking about them...
The reason why is, they haven't done what Abraham did ...
They desire what he had:
· The blessing...
· But they don't want to do what he did in order to receive it...
So they stay content with just:
· Singing & talking about The blessing of Abraham
· They are content with just hearing about what he had
· But never coming into a place of possessing it, because they have not combine hearing, with doing...
The scripture in James 1 tell us the effects of people who just hear the word and never do the word...
1. They deceived themselves...Why?
· Just coming week after week to church hearing & Learning the word or even confessing your sins...
· Even though those things are important, doesn't mean that God is accepting you...
⇒ God accepts us because we confess and repent.
Repentance means that we turn away from our sins and turn to God.
God accepts us because we turn to Him and live for Him.
2. They soon forgets what they have heard.
· If we don't practice what we've learn, it soon fades from our memories
· In other words...They have forgotten, and it never becomes a part of our life.
3. Hearing and doing releases the blessing into your life .
Note that the Word of God is called "The perfect law of liberty".
· This means that the Word of God will set a person free from the bondages of sin and death.
· And when you are free from sin and death, you can flow into your new life, the spirit of life that is in Christ...
· But we must continue in his word...
John 15:7 If ye abide in me, and my words abide in you, ye shall ask what ye will, and it shall be done unto you.
Let me show you in the word of God, Six basic things that Abraham did, That started God's Covenant blessing to flow in his life.
And I am showing you these things, so that you can begin to apply them and put them into action in your life, so that you will get the same result Abraham Got!
1 Now the Lord had said unto Abram, Get thee out of thy country, and from thy kindred, and from thy father's house, unto a land that I will shew thee:
2 And I will make of thee a great nation, and I will bless thee, and make thy name great; and thou shalt be a blessing:
3 And I will bless them that bless thee, and curse him that curseth thee: and in thee shall all families of the earth be blessed.
4 So Abram departed, as the Lord had spoken unto him
1. Abram Listen To God
· He heard and recognize the voice of God
· You must get into a place where you can hear God voice speaking to you.
· Turn off the T.V, Cell phone, computer and get into a quite place to hear...
· Without hearing, faith can't be produce... faith comes by hearing...
· His Voice, His Chose,...when you hear his voice, you can make the right chose
2. Abram Obeyed God
· Obedience-do as you are told, be controlled
· Simple obedience opens the door to extraordinary opportunities...
· Abram departed from everything God wanted him to leave...
· Whatever you are willing to depart from, will always lead to the place that was design for you
7 And the Lord appeared unto Abram, and said, Unto thy seed will I give this land: and there builded he an altar unto the Lord, who appeared unto him.
3. Abram Honored God
· Honor- to show great respect and admiration
· Nothing can ever replace giving honor to whom honor is due
· Abram build an altar to God, this showed God Honor
· And he appeared unto him
· when you learn how to honor God, he will appear ...
7 And there was a strife between the herdmen of Abram's cattle and the herdmen of Lot's cattle: and the Canaanite and the Perizzite dwelled then in the land. 8 And Abram said unto Lot, Let there be no strife, I pray thee, between me and thee, and between my herdmen and thy herdmen; for we be brethren.
4. Abram Avoided Strife
· Strife can be avoided, when we honor God & prefer one another over ourselves
· Abram kept the single bond between Lot and himself... they were brethren
· How good and pleasant it is when brethren dwell together in unity
· Strife never has to be an issue, when we remember that we are the unified body of Christ
9 Is not the whole land before thee? separate thyself, I pray thee, from me: if thou wilt take the left hand, then I will go to the right; or if thou depart to the right hand, then I will go to the left.
5. Abram was Generous
· Generous-kind, noble, substantial, full- flavored
· I've learned that people will forget what you have said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel
· Abram made his nephew Lot feel special, when he got the first opportunity to chose where he would go.
· Generous is like seed that is planted, and when you sow it, you reap a harvest in return.
23 And Abraham drew near, and said, Wilt thou also destroy the righteous with the wicked? 24 Peradventure there be fifty righteous within the city: wilt thou also destroy and not spare the place for the fifty righteous that are therein?
6. Abram Was compassionate toward others
· Compassionate People are Caring People
· Abram didn't want to see the righteous destroyed with the wicked
· So he showed compassion by (asking or interceding) to God to spare the city if he could find any righteous people there.
· People who are not afraid to address the needs of people
· People who has God passion being stir up on the inside of them
· People who get busy doing the word, causing God's kingdom to expand in the earth
· If we are going to see the manifestation of what Abraham had in his life...
· Which is the blessing, then we are going to have to do what Abraham did....
These are six basic principle in Abraham life and as we move from being hearers of the word, to doers of the word, we will see the same manifestation Abraham had working in his life, on our lives!